This course is the perfect starting point if you would like to pursue a career in accounting and also for those wishing to work as a bookkeeper. You will learn basic bookkeeping skills including double entry, how to categorise and analyse costs, how to use Sage software and the basic skills needed to work in accounting and finance. You will be able to work anywhere in the world once you complete your course, as AAT qualifications are held in high regard both at home and abroad.
Average point score* of 4.5 or above, calculated from all GCSE subjects. Your point score MUST include at least five GCSEs at grade C/4 or above - including English Language or Maths.
If your English Language is a D/3, your Maths must be at least a C/4 and vice versa.
Grade C/5 or above in GCSE Maths.
Grade C/5 or above in GCSE English Language.
What will I study?
- Level 2 Foundation Certificate in Accounting (Year One)
- Bookkeeping Transactions
- Bookkeeping Controls
- Elements of Costing
- Using Accounting Software
- Working Effectively in Finance
- Level 3 Advanced Diploma (Year Two)
- Advanced Bookkeeping
- Final Accounts Preparation
- Indirect Tax
- Management Accounting: Costing
- Spreadsheets for Accounting
- Ethics for Accountants
What could I do next?
You could progress to the Level 4 AAT Diploma as a part-time evening student or as part of an Apprenticeship at USP College. Employers will often agree to sponsor employees to study for the Level 4 Diploma as a part-time evening student, if you wish to continue your studies when you enter employment.
Alternatively, you can study an Accounting/Finance based degree at university taking degrees in Accounting/Finance or take further professional examinations leading to Chartered Accountant status.
We recommend that you take Core Maths alongside this course.
- Textbooks at a cost of approximately £100; this will allow you to customise your books as required and will give you a reference source that can be used in your future career.
- Non-programmable calculator and appropriate stationery, including ring binders and lined paper for note taking.
- Course related trips at a reasonable cost.