Are you interested in the human and natural world? A-Level Geography is a hugely diverse and dynamic subject.
You will explore a wide range of current environmental and political issues occurring around the world, including: natural hazards, climate change, migration, development and globalisation.
- Average point score* of 4.5 or above, calculated from all GCSE subjects. Your point score MUST include at least five GCSEs at grade C/4 or above - including English Language or Maths.
- If your English Language is a D/3, your Maths must be at least a C/4 and vice versa.
- Grade C/4 or above in GCSE English Language
- Grade c/4 or above in GCSE Maths
- Grade B/6 or above in a full Geography GCSE (if taken).
What will I study?
- Urban Environments
- Coastal Systems and Landscapes
- Water and Carbon Cycles
- Changing Places
- Global Systems and Governance
You will also have the chance to undertake fieldwork to supplement your theoretical knowledge in one of your Geography units.
You will be expected to stay up-to-date with current events, in order to participate in discussions relating to the content taught in class. If you have commitment and enthusiasm then you will easily be able to manage the challenging workload both in and outside of the classroom. You will be assessed by written examinations and a non-examined assessment, with two exams at the end of the second year. Therefore, a strong level of written English is encouraged given the essay structure of exams.
Why should I choose USP College?
- The course offers opportunities to undertake a wide range of fieldwork.
- Geography has consistently been voted as one of the most employable degree subjects because of the transferable skills and knowledge you will gain.
- Suggested books to supplement learning are encouraged to be bought.
- Field trip.
What can I do next?
Geography is a highly regarded traditional subject for entry into Higher Education. A number of former students have gone on to study Geography degrees at top universities.
There are also a range of possible careers open to qualified Geographers including:
- town planning
- leisure and tourism and environment based careers.