IMAGE Health, Care & Medical - Social Worker.jpg

Level 3 Diploma

Criminology & Social Science (Access to Higher Education)


1 Year (Can be taken over 2 years)


Level 3

Career Sector


Available At


Start Date


Days & Times

10 hours, spread over 2-3 days


£2,995† (Eligible for Advanced Learner Loan)

Course overview

An Access to Higher Education Diploma will enable you to go to university if you don’t currently have the qualifications you need. They are widely recognised by universities, including Anglia Ruskin University and the University of Essex.

This course will prepare you for study at degree level by improving study skills in addition to studying Criminology, Criminal Law and Social Science in detail.

You will also undertake a research project on a topic of your choice with the aim of developing your independent learning skills.

* This course can be studied part-time over two years (one to two days a week) spreading the cost of the course to £1,500 per year. The part-time option can also be funded by the Advanced Learner Loan. This can be discussed at interview.

**The course runs between 9am-4pm with an average of 10 hours weekly teaching time spread over two to three days. Please note that days and times are dependent on subject choice and may be subject to change.

†If you have not completed a Level 3 course already, you may be eligible to study for FREE! Subject to funding, call 01268 882 618 for more information. Alternatively, you could be eligible to apply for an Advanced Learner Loan to fund the cost of your course.

Entry requirements

  • You will need grade C/4 or above in GCSE English and/or Maths, or a Level 2 in Functional Skills.

  • If you don't currently have the entry requirements needed, don't worry, you could study GCSE English and/or Maths for free at the college!

What will I study?

Modules will include

Theories of Criminal Behaviour

Crime & Deviance

Principles of Criminal Law & Sentencing


Academic Preparation for Higher Education

What could I do next?

You could go on to study a degree in Criminology, Social Science, Law or other related fields. You could also go on to study the Public Services HNC/HND at the college.

Contact Us