IMAGE Health, Care & Medical - Social Worker.jpg

Level 3 Diploma

Social Work and Social Care (Access to Higher Education)


1 Year (Can be taken over 2 years)


Level 3

Career Sector

Early Years, Childcare & Education

Available At


Start Date


Days & Times

10 hours, spread over 2-3 days


£2,995† (Eligible for Advanced Learner Loan)

Course overview

An Access to Higher Education Diploma will enable you to go to university if you don’t currently have the qualifications you need. They are widely recognised by universities, including Anglia Ruskin University and the University of Essex.

This course will prepare you for study at degree level by improving study skills in addition to studying Psychology and Sociology in detail. You will develop your essay writing, researching and presentation skills.

As part of the course you will undertake a research project on a topic of your choice with the aim of developing your independent learning skills.

* This course can be studied part-time over two years (one to two days a week) spreading the cost of the course to £1,500 per year. The part-time option can also be funded by the Advanced Learner Loan. This can be discussed at interview.

**The course runs between 9am-3pm with an average of 10 hours weekly teaching time spread over two to three days. Please note that days and times are dependent on subject choice and may be subject to change.

†If you have not completed a Level 3 course already, you may be eligible to study for FREE! Subject to funding, call 01268 882 618 for more information. Alternatively, you could be eligible to apply for an Advanced Learner Loan to fund the cost of your course.

Entry requirements

  • You will need grade C/4 or above in GCSE English and/or Maths, or a Level 2 in Functional Skills.

  • If you don't currently have the entry requirements needed, don't worry, you could study GCSE English and/or Maths for free at the college!

What will I study?

Modules will include

Abnormal Psychology

Developmental Psychology

Social Psychology

Sociology of Schooling and Education

Sociology of the Family

Psychological Perspectives Applied to Social Work

Academic Preparation for Higher Education

What could I do next?

You could go on to study a degree in Social Work or another social science-related field. You could also go on to study the Foundation Degree in Early Years or the Health Promotion & Social Care BSc at the college.

Last year our students went on to study Social Work degrees at the University of Essex and the University of Brighton.

Contact Us