The primary role of a network engineer is to design, install, maintain and support communication networks within an organisation or between organisations. You will need to maintain high levels of operation of communication networks in order to provide maximum performance and availability for their users, such as staff, clients, customers and suppliers. You will develop an understanding of network configuration, cloud, network administration and monitoring tools, as well as give technical advice and guidance.
Entry requirements are set by the employer for each vacancy. Typically employers will as for 5 GCSEs, including Maths and English or a relevant level 2 qualification.*
*You will have to take part in an initial assessment to determine your start point.
What will I study?
- How to design simple and apply appropriate security products and processes.
- Install and configure network components, including switches, routers and firewalls.
- The performance of network systems and services and how to optimise them.
- Network systems and how to monitor, test and adjust them to meet accepted standards.
- The use of diagnostic tools and techniques to identify the causes of network performance issues.
- Structured approaches to troubleshooting network issues and repair faults in hardware, software products and the network.
- System upgrades to network hardware, software and operating systems.
- Integration of network-related software into an existing network environment.
- How to interpret written requirements and technical specifications for network activities to maintain accurate records of maintenance.
- The technical support in which is required to end-users.
- Effective planning to respond to business issues relating to network engineering.
- Principles of networking, protocols and associated technologies (specifically this should include the latest published versions of OSI layer model, IP, TCP/IP, routing and switching, WANs, LANs).
- Causes and consequences of system failure including load balance and storage protocols and respond appropriately.
- The best approach when responding to security threats, firewalls and vulnerabilities.
- Network Principles
- Network Systems and Architecture
- Network Security
- Cisco CCNA 1+2
- Microsoft MCP Server 2016
- CompTIA Security+
Why study with us?
We have been providing quality training to the local community for over 35 years.
We have academy status with Microsoft, CompTIA, Cisco, BCS, The chartered Institue Approved Centre, Huawei Authorised Information and Network Academy.
Thousands of students have successfully achieved the skills and qualification needed to enhance their career.
Our employers have generations of apprentices with many working their way up to management or director level.
Our success rate is over 96%!
What could I do next?
After completing this qualifcation you can progress into a more senior role, complete a degree apprenticeship or attend university.