This qualification provides learners with an excellent opportunity to develop key practical and theoretical concepts for progression to a BSc or into employment.
The modules on offer cover a variety of subjects with particular emphasis in molecular and cellular biology, immunology and genetics.
Taught modules, delivered through a diverse range of teaching methods will develop scientific, analytical and laboratory skills crucial to the success of working scientists.
We are looking for students with enthusiasm and a willingness to embrace new concepts and ideas.
- BTEC Level 3 in science based subject; grade of MMM or possess the equivalent of two A-Level passes in the sciences; preferably Biology and Chemistry.
- Students need both GCSE English AND maths at grade 5/C.
- Non-standard entry students will always be considered and a variety of other life experiences can be taken into account.
- Overseas students are considered on an individual basis.
What will I study?
A variety of teaching methods are employed for the delivery of the course units. These include lectures and seminars, group work, research, visits and laboratories.
The different methods employed are designed promote your academic development for higher education and confidence as a scientist. Your personal and academic development will be complemented by your reflecting upon your own learning and progression on the course.
Throughout the course you will be given the opportunity to discuss your progress regularly with your tutor.
Assessment decisions will be based on performance taken from essays, presentations and laboratory reports.
- Cell Biology
- Biochemistry of Macromolecules and Metabolic Pathways
- Physiology of Cellular Systems in Animals
- Laboratory Techniques for Applied Biology
- Analysis of Scientific Data and Information
- Molecular Biology and Genetics
- Immune Response System
- Human health and Nutrition
Why Should I Study Applied Biology at USP College?
This course will involve trips to molecular biology laboratories for hands on experience of higher educational facilities and research laboratories.
Delivery of this course will be provided by previously active, published scientists with direct experience within the biomedical, microbiological and drug development research fields.
What Could I Do Next?
The skills acquired and developed throughout this programme are by no means restricted to the biological research field.
Many skills acquired may be applied to other areas, such as commerce, management, teaching etc. Students may directly go into careers in biomedical diagnostics, nutrition, laboratory analysis and education.
Direct progression into the second year is anticipated to achieve the Level 5 HND qualification.
Progression to a suitable BSc degree programme in the biological sciences is also possible.