An A-Level in 3D Design & Architecture will see you explore a wide range of traditional and contemporary design techniques, from scale drawing to computer-aided design.
You will also look at a number of specialist areas in detail, including: Interior Design, Set Design, Product Design, Architecture and Environmental Design.
3D Design & Architecture is about living in the modern world, understanding materials and how they influence design.
What will I study?
On this course you will cover a broad range of techniques including model making, working creatively with a range of materials and processes, working to scale and creating floor plans with elevation drawings.
- Drawing and presentation techniques
- Ergonomics and anthropometrics
- Colour theory within design
- Modelling and working with a variety of materials
- Working to scale
- Computer Aided Design (CAD)
- Exploring functional design
- Working to design briefs.
You will be given practical briefs and assignments, take part in workshops on art and design techniques and art contextual presentations. You will have coursework set in Year One, which will be tracked and assessed on a continual basis. Your coursework will include individual creative projects have promote the development of your own individual style.
In Year Two, you will work on personal investigation unit and an externally set unit.
- Five GCSEs at grade 4 or above including English Language and Maths.
- Grade 4 or above in an Art & Design or Creative Media GCSE subject is preferred.
If you haven’t taken a GCSE in Art & Design or a Creative Media subject, you can still show a portfolio of work that shows your passion, ability and commitment to this course.
We recommend that you take Core Maths alongside this course.
Why should I choose USP College?
- Trips and visits to galleries to appreciate the historical development and contemporary trends within the area of art.
- Optional visit to a European city and/or a residential trip in Year Two.
- The approximate cost of materials and equipment is £30 per year.
- Trips will cost around £30 a year, with an additional optional visit to a European city and/or a residential trip in Year Two.
What could I do next?
- Progress to the Foundation Diploma in Art & Design at USP College, Seevic Campus.
- Secure employment in areas such as Architectural Design, Product Design or Set Design.
- Progress to study a range of design-related degrees at university.