An Assistant Accountant provides support to internal and external customers and will work predominately either as an assistant accountant within a practice or alternatively within the finance function of an organisation. Within this role, you will assist in the day to day financial activities such as data entry, month-end management accounts and/or year-end financial statements. In addition, you could be involved in regulatory financial requirements such as the completion of VAT returns or assisting in the preparation of tax computations.
Entry requirements are set by the employer for each vacancy. Typically employers will ask for 5 GCSEs, including Maths and English or a relevant level 2 qualification.*
*You will have to take part in an initial assessment to determine your start point.
What will I study?
- The transactional processes and support provided by accountancy firms or the accounting function within an organisation.
- How to enter accounting transactions, perform reconciliation, correct errors and produce a range of reports.
- The systems and process of the organisation, such as Sales, Purchase and Payroll.
- Basic elements of double-entry bookkeeping and accounting standards required to process financial documents and report financial information to users of accounts.
- Current financial standards for basic accounts preparation.
- How to draft final accounts.
- How to account for the purchase and disposal of non-current assets.
- Basic tax principles to apply current regulations to calculate VAT and submit a VAT return.
- How to gather, analyse and report information about income and expenditure
- Support decision-making, planning and control.
- How to effectively record and analyse financial data.
- Business Awareness
- IT Systems and Processes
- Ethical Standards
- Financial Accounting and Reporting
- Management Accounting
Professional Qualifications +
- AAT Advanced Bookkeeping
- AAT Final Accounts Preparation
- AAT Management Accounting
- AAT Indirect Tax
- AAT Ethics for Accountants
- AAT Spreadsheets for Accounting
Why study with us?
Leading provider for accountancy apprenticeships locally.
We work with accountancy firms to develop and deliver career-ready certification.
Out tutors are acknowledged AAT experts with years of experience.
You will be assigned an assessor and a progress coach to ensure you are fully supported through your apprenticeship.
What could I do next?
You can progress on to Professional AAT Accounting Technician Level 4. This standard provides the foundation for progression into a number of career paths in the Accounting sector including Audit Trainee, Corporate Recovery Analyst, Credit Controller or Tax Accountant.
+If agreed with the employer.