The HND in Art & Design will offer you a unique set of experiences and the necessary knowledge and skills that will help to prepare you for an exciting future in the Arts and the growing Creative Arts industry sector.
As a student here, you will join an interesting mix of people from differing backgrounds, who all have a personal ambition to fulfil. Setting yourself high standards and developing a positive attitude will ensure your personal growth and ensure that the course is enjoyable and productive.
Having built your knowledge and understanding of creative design processes, you will have the option to top-up to a full degree at university, or be fully supported into progressing into industry or self-employment.
What will I study?
You will study two qualifications, receiving a nationally recognised Higher Education qualification at the end of each year:
- Higher National Certificate (first year)
- Higher National Diploma (second year).
A Higher National Certificate (HNC) and Higher National Diploma (HND) together are roughly equivalent to the first two years of a BA (Hons) degree.
- Professional Development
- Contextual Studies
- Media Practices
- Graphic Design Practices
- Communication in Art & Design
- Professional Practice
- Applied Practice Collaborative Project
- Advanced Practice Unit
How will I be Taught and Assessed?
- You will be taught through seminars, group critiques, 1:1 tutorials and practical workshops.
- Assessments are set throughout the year to monitor student progress and grade each module.
- Assessment is entirely coursework based.
Why Should I Study Art & Design at USP College?
- We have close links with Art & Design courses at Colchester Institute
- Smaller class sizes compared to universities
- Access to outstanding 1-1 support from Tutors
- Opportunity to study a university-level qualification close to home
- Save money on course fees, travel and living expenses.
What Could I Do Next?
Successful completion of this course will get you on the right track to employment or self-employment within the creative industries. You will also have the option to progress on to the third year of a degree course within your relevant specialist area.
You will need to have achieved one of the following:
- Foundation Diploma in a relevant subject
- BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in a relevant subject
- A-Level at Grade C or above in a creative subject.
You will also be required to present a portfolio of artwork to demonstrate your commitment and suitability for our course.
In order to progress to the second year HND, you will need to successfully complete the HNC in the first year.
We understand that the costs of college may be daunting but we are here to support you.