This combined sport and education-focused award is aimed at those wishing to combine their passion for Sport with the development of teaching and coaching skills.
The BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Science (Education Studies) has been tailored to meet the needs and prepare students for such a career pathway.
This course is offered in partnership with, and validated by, Writtle University College.
There will be a £650 bursary option for students who progress from USP College to this course in year one and two.
- Year 1
Human Anatomy & Physiology, Professional Skills for the Sports Industry, Coaching in Practice, Introduction to Psychology, Analysis of Human Movement and Performance, Introduction to Performance Analysis for Team Sports and An Introduction to Teaching, Learning & Assessment (NEW!).
- Year 2
Physiology, Nutrition and Exercise, Research Skills in Sport and Exercise Science, Principles of Strength & Conditioning (S&C), Coaching and Leadership, The Dual Professional (NEW!), The Digital Practitioner (NEW!).
- Year 3
Writtle University College
Applied Coaching Science, Applied Exercise Physiology, Performance and Exercise Nutrition, Developing the Teaching Cycle (NEW!), The Digital practitioner - Action Research (NEW!), Applying the Teaching Cycle - Professional Placement (NEW! - Capstone Project).
How will I be Taught and Assessed?
Year 1 & Year 2: Seevic Campus, Runnymede Chase, Benfleet
Year 3: Writtle University College, Chelmsford.
The following list shows the variety of learning and teaching methods experienced on this course:
- Practical laboratory sessions
- Coaching sessions in the field
- Seminars and debates
- Case studies
- Online quizzes and activities
This course provides a mix of assessment methods including:
- Practical assessments – both in small groups and individually
- Practical portfolios
- Presentations - both individually and in small groups
- Reflective logbooks
- Case studies
- Critiques of literature
- Written assessments
- Examinations - both multiple-choice and essay questions
- Peer and tutor observations
- Capstone Project
- 96 UCAS points
- Maths/English GCSE Grade C/4
Why study BSc (Hons) Sport Science and Coaching at USP College?
- The nature of studying in a smaller class size environment offers both enhanced support with content and assessment as well as increased group interaction leading to more detailed discussion in lectures and seminars.
- The excellent transport links afforded to the College with two mainline railway stations (Benfleet and Rayleigh) less than 15 minutes away as well as a major bus routes from Southend, Basildon and Rochford make the programme accessible to a wide radius.
- Both first and second-year students attend lectures three days per week. This provides students with the flexibility to both complete work placements as well as keep current part-time work commitments to provide a suitable study-life balance.
- Play, train and compete as part of USP Storm, the Colleges leading sports academy.
What could I do next?
The inclusion of modules in education studies prepares you for a career in education, although the variety of skills thought may also prepare you for alternative careers that include science-based roles, coaching and health and wellbeing.
We understand that the costs of college may be daunting but we are here to support you.