We understand that deciding to return to education may be scary.
We get asked lots of questions (which is great) but here are some of our more frequently asked ones which may help you decide whether to study an Access to Higher Education course with us.
What is an Access to HE Course?
It is a one year Level 3 Diploma which prepares adult students for, and gives them the entry requirements (UCAS points) required for, degree level study. This course enables those who do not yet have a relevant level 3 qualification to go straight to university.
So, if you want/need a degree - this course is the preparation course you need to get there.
Who can study an Access to HE Course?
To study an Access to HE Course you must:
- Be aged 19 or over by 31 August in the year you wish to study
- Be a resident in the UK
- Have grade C/4 or above in GCSE Maths and English, or a Level 2 qualification. If you only have one of the grades required you may be able to study the other alongside your Access Course.
Don't worry if you haven't been in education for a long time - you are exactly who this course is designed for and our teachers are experts in helping you get back into education.
How is the course funded?
There are three ways to pay for the cost of the course:
- Self-funded - you may be able to pay in instalments throughout the year, more will be explained once you have applied.
- Government funded - if you are aged 19-24 and do not already have a Level 3 qualification, subject to funding available.
- Advanced Learner Loan - if you go on to university and complete and eligible Higher Education course you will not have to pay the Advanced Learner Loan back, meaning you could study for FREE!
How often will I have to attend College?
Lessons are over 1.5 days per week, depending on the diploma chosen. You are then expected to complete the equivalent amount of time on independent study and assignments.
How do I know which course is right for me?
You can attend one of our Open Evenings, request a tour using the details below or once you apply you will be invited in to talk to the course leader where you can ask any additional questions you might have.
When should I apply?
Applications are open throughout the year, starting from October before the course is set to start in the following September and close that September. Although applications remain open we suggest applying before the end of May to ensure you are invited to the first set of enrolments which take place in June, don't worry if you miss this we will also hold enrolment dates in August and September.