If you want a career working with children, this could be the course for you.
You will study a range of units relating to children. You will also take part in work experience in a variety of childcare settings.
On successful completion of the course you will be ready to progress to a Level 3 course at USP College or gain employment within a childcare setting as a Support Team Member. There are also a number of exciting Apprenticeship opportunities available.
- At least four GCSEs at grade D/3 or above including English Language or Maths
- At least one GCSE needs to be at grade C/4 or above
- Grade D/3 or above in GCSE English Language
- Grade D/3 or above in GCSE Maths
- A satisfactory DBS check will be required
What will I study?
Our courses will enable you to explore a range of units relating to childcare, including being offered the opportunity to gain a Paediatric First Aid qualification – a requirement of all Early Years educators in the workplace.
Introducing the role of the early years practitioner
Legislation, framework and professional practice
Play, development and learning for school
All units are assessed through assignments.
- All courses are both theoretically and practically taught. Classroom time typically equates to three full days per week, whilst placement may be one or two days per week. This enables application of knowledge gained through the theoretical lessons to a real life working environment.
- We try to create work-typical environments within the class room. This includes a new outdoor play area we have set up that enables us to re-create ‘real life’ scenarios for the students to learn from practically.
Why study Childcare at USP College?
- Trips including Christmas Pantomime, Chessington World of Adventures and The Education Show.
- Well-established links with placement settings in Hockley, Rochford, Wickford, Hullbridge, Rayleigh, Basildon, Southend, Canvey Island, and Benfleet. We also coordinate with local charities.
- Many of our teachers have decades of Early Years teaching experience. All have experience of working within Childcare settings and some have run their own settings. We also work with organisations such as “Outstanding” childcare provider Seymour House, to offer work experience placements and regular visiting lectures to ensure you leave us career ready.
What could I do next?
After successful completion your qualification you will have the option to:
- Progress on to a Level 3 course at USP College such as Childcare & Education or Health & Social Care.
- Gain employment within a childcare setting as a Support Team Member.
- Gain employment within the childcare sector through an Apprenticeship in an Early Years setting such as a Nursery.
- Placement t-shirt (optional £12)
- DBS application (currently £54)
- Travel costs to and from placement