The CILEx (Chartered Institute of Legal Executives) Diploma for Legal Secretaries is for students who want to train for a career as a Legal Secretary.
- At least five GCSEs at grade C/4 or above including English Language or Maths. If your English Language is a D/3, your Maths must be at least a C/4 and vice versa
- A Level 2 BTEC Diploma or above and GCSE English Language or Maths at grade C/4 or above
- Grade C/4 or above in GCSE English Language
- Grade C/4 or above in GCSE Maths is also desirable - you will be required to re-sit it if you have not already achieved it
What will I study?
You will develop your knowledge, understanding and practical ability in a full range of administrative functions including: written business communication, planning travel and accommodation, handling diary systems and organising meetings and events.
This course includes:
CILEx Level 2 Diploma in the first year and CILEx Level 3 Diploma in the second year.
- Legal word processing, legal audio transcription
- Working in the legal environment
- Spreadsheets, databases and PowerPoint
- Employability skills
There will be a variety of teaching and practical lessons that cover the aspects of working in the legal environment. These will include practical demonstrations and group work, along with presentations. You will receive advice on preparing CVs and covering letters, job applications, attending interviews and presenting yourself for the workplace.
The CILEx qualification is assessed mainly through controlled assignments with some external exams.
Students will be required to undertake a two week period of work experience with either a local legal firm or one of the London firms during the first year.
What could I do next?
This course can lead to a career as a Legal Secretary or Personal Assistant and, with further study, to a Legal Executive or Solicitor. The college has strong links with law companies and employment consultants in the City of London, several of which are:-
Taylor Wessing – London Solicitors
Berwin Leighton Paisner – London Solicitors
Clifford Chance – London Solicitors
Palmers Solicitors – local Solicitors