Psychology is the study of human behaviour and the mind.
A-Level Psychology is an ideal subject choice if you have an interest in understanding human behaviour from a scientific perspective. The subject investigates and explains human behaviour: from the formation of memories through to the functioning of the central and peripheral nervous system, neurotransmitters and hormones. During this two year course you will learn about:
- The formation of memories
- The impact of childhood experience on behaviour
- The causes and treatments of psychological disorders, such as depression and OCD.
You will also develop an understanding of key theoretical concepts and approaches in Psychology plus an appreciation for the methods Psychologists use when conducting research.
- Five GCSEs at grade C/4 or above - including English Language and Maths
- Grade C/4 or above in any GCSE Science
What will I study?
- Introductory topics in Psychology - Social Influence, Attachment & Memory and Psychopathology.
- Psychology in context - Approaches in Psychology, Bio-psychology and Research Methods.
- Issues in Psychology - From a choice of: Issues and Debates, Gender, Schizophrenia and Forensic Psychology
A core aspect of Psychology involves learning about: how Psychologists design research, analysing data, describing key theories, approaches and studies, applying them to a range of scenarios and being able to produce clear evaluation and analysis that incorporates a range of debates in Psychology.
Why should I choose USP College?
All of our teachers are degree qualified subject specialists with many years of experience teaching A-Level Psychology courses.
- Course textbook at a cost of £20.
- Cost of trips will vary according to the destination, with many requiring only the cost of travel to be met.
- Revision conferences have an entry fee of £20.
What could I do next?
Psychology is a respected academic subject which combines well with a range of subjects, including Arts and Sciences. It is good for progression to Higher Education and is particularly useful for any profession where an insight into human behaviour is beneficial.
We recommend that you take Core Maths alongside this course.